Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Mr. Discount Airline Pilot Guy

Because of a consulting job I'm starting this month, I have taken a particular interest in the airline industry recently. In my research, I came across an ad by Bud Light in their "Real Men of Genius" campaign called Mr. Discount Airline Pilot Guy. That is what I want to talk about today.

I am not a discount airline lover. In fact, I'm pretty close to the opposite end of the spectrum, especially since Southwest has been pushing this whole Wright Amendment stuff trying to seem like the poor abused child on the playground when they are really the big bullies. So this commercial had me laughing so hard I nearly fell out of my chair. 1 week later, I opened the Wall Street Journal to find an article saying that AirTran is threatening to pull all Anheuser-Busch products from their flights because they were offended by this commercial. Other low-cost carriers have followed suit, acting appalled at this commercial. To briefly summarize my feelings about this without boring my readers too much, I will just say GET OVER IT! Humor in advertising has been used for many, many years, particularly in the alcoholic beverage market and companies need to realize that getting upset just makes them look stupid and petty. I mean, are Usher's backup dancers boycotting Bud because of the "Mr. Gangsta Rapper Posse Member" ad in the same campaign (which is also really funny by the way)? It would be like politicians getting mad for being made fun of on SNL - it just comes with the territory.

The saddest thing about all of this is that the commercial has been pulled from every source of media, including the Andy Award Winners site where it won 1st place in the Radio Ad category. You can still find the other 2 ads in the campaign though, and i would recommend checking them out. I finally found a copy of the good ad, along with the text, on this site. Stick it to stupid airlines with me - listen to it and laugh! But hurry, I don't know how long it will last before they completely rid the world of all evidence like Nixon and his shredders. But they can't stop me! To close out this ridiculously long post, I will end with the written transcript of the commercial entitled "Mr. Discount Airline Pilot Guy."

ANNCR: Bud Light presents…Real Men of Genius.
SINGER: Real Men of Genius.
ANNCR: Today we salute you… Mr Discount Airline Pilot Guy.
SINGER: Mr Discount Airline Pilot Guy.
ANNCR: Your minimal experience flying a plane will never land you at a reputable airline. Luckily, you don’t work for one.
SINGER: Look at me, I’m flying.
ANNCR: Sure, we’re concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving nine bucks on a round trip to Fort Myers.
SINGER: Whoah!
ANNCR: The most direct route to Houston? Through Ft. Lauderdale. With layovers in Detroit, Vancouver and Kalamazoo.
SINGER: I can’t feel my legs.
ANNCR: So crack open an ice cold Bud Light, oh, Skipper of the Skies. You put the ‘fly’ in ‘fly by night operation’.
SINGER: Mr Discount Airline Pilot Guy.
ANNCR: Bud Light Beer. Anheuser Busch, St. Louis, Missouri.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty funny stuff. Obviously a parody.

The irony is that the discount airlines these days are frequently flying newer, cleaner planes with better service, piloted by some of the best pilots in the industry.

Emily said...

I know that, and the public knows that. That is why it is so funny - it is beyond ridiculous. All of their commercials are parody, which is why it seems odd that the discounters got all bent out of shape about it.

Emily said...

you have a blog, too...so fun! Miss seeing you, and I need to hang out with you and some of your MBA men soon:)Miss seeing you at church...I hope school is going great!
Love ya,
emily