Saturday, February 16, 2008

Prayers

I'm sure by now, most of you have heard about the shootings at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Illinois. My college roommate, Lindsay (second one on the left in the picture from that post) is living there while her fiance, Ryan is in grad school at NIU. They are both okay, but very much shaken up. Ryan was proctoring an exam in the same lecture hall not too long before the shooting...had the shooter chosen a different time to come in, it could have been Ryan.

It is hard to explain what it feels like to have your entire world turned upside down and to all of a sudden feel completely unsafe in your own town. In September (on Maisy's 5th birthday actually) it will be 9 years since the shootings at Wedgwood Baptist Church where I lost a friend. It seems crazy that it has been that long. But 9 years later, I am still experiencing effects of that event. I've always loved finding new things in common with my best friends, but this was one that I was hoping to never have to share. Please pray for Lindsay, Ryan, and the entire NIU campus as they begin to deal with the aftermath of this terrible thing.

Thanks,
Emily

2 comments:

Kristen Ballard said...

They will be in my prayers, for sure.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad he wasn't killed or injured. Life's kinda short, ya know?

Reminds us of those things that are most important.