Saturday, August 11, 2007

Marathon - Not Just a Greek City

Well, I'm joining in on the new fad. I, Emily Tate, am training to run a half marathon. Am I crazy? Probably. Am I excited? Heck yes! Am I wondering if I'm actually going to make it to the end? Maybe a little.

Thus, I've created a new blog.

I am hoping that by journaling how things are going with my training, I will keep myself motivated and accountable, and I don't want to force you to read it on this blog. I don't know if anyone will actually come read these posts except me, which is completely okay...I'm sure some days I'll be really down and would be happy for no one to read it! But I think it will be fun to look back on it after I'm done and see how far I've come.

Reasons Why I've Avoided Running in the Past:
- I always played sports, so I never needed to go out of my way to run.
- I live in Texas where its too hot most of the time
- Its always the runners who find dead bodies in the woods

Reasons Why I'm Doing This:
- I need a new goal. Now that grad school is over, I have nothing to keep propelling me forward.
- I need to lose weight and although I have good intentions to work out, I never do it without a specific reason
- I have about 10 friends to help keep me motivated and to run with
- I can cross something off of THE List (I know I said 10K, but I'm going above and beyond)
- I need to rebuild my cardiovascular system after pneumonia

Marathon is officially not just a Greek city anymore to me.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hurray for you, that is AWESOME! I'm in the research beginnings of becoming a triahlete. I am so proud/happy for you! I'll be cheering you on all the way!

Anonymous said...

You are going to love how you feel while training! Way to go!

Wezie said...

Good for you, Emily! You are an awesome young woman with a lot of drive. I am sure you will succed!

stacey4 said...

You GO GIRL!!! I ran the White Rock half last December and it was an amazing experience!!!

Chad said...

hey whats up. I know it has been a while but I wanted to tell you that I went back to that restaurant that you recomended. It was amazing the bread and I had this steak that was huge and amazing. Anyways, when did you graduate from ACU? Well got to run talk to you later.