Sunday, May 06, 2007

I have a problem.

I have a problem doing things that I think are stupid. This has really come to a head in grad school as they make us do a lot of things that I think are stupid....reading articles that have no point, completing certain "personality tests" and "leadership practices" tests, several pointless items of busy work from my GA that I know will not serve any good purpose, rearranging my schedule to hear speakers I'm not interested in to name a few. I know everyone thinks a lot of things are stupid, but my problem is that I procrastinate until the very last possible moment to do them rather than just getting it over with like most people. Luckily, I am ONE DAY OUT from being finished with my degree, but I have spent the last couple weeks trying to scramble and finish these pointless things, cursing the people that are making me do them all the while. I know its a long shot, but I'm hoping that I will encounter less and less of these dumb things as I go into my full-time job. Anyone else have this same problem?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, I too realized that I was under the mistaken impression that school was about learning and developing abilities; a few of my teachers evidently believed that it was about jumping through hoops. As a student with a rather severe writing disability, which makes it both painful and time consuming, one of the hardest things I've ever had to do was turn in useless busywory.

The worst and most pointless were the article summaries, like we were required to turn in in Intro to Grad Studies --I spent weeks trying to fight my hatred and write, and I got a C on it (and, except in his area of expertise, I knew more about the subjects of class lectures than the teacher did, because I am obsessed with learning and used my time reading when I should be doing busywork in undergrad).