Saturday, May 28, 2005

The Great Schnozzola!

Today Patty, Wade, Katie, Stephen, Lindsey, and I spent the day at Richland making the sphinx out of styrofoam for VBS. But this Sphinx had to have a nose because the slaves knock it off on Night 1 (sorry if I'm spoiling the suspensful plot for anyone!) We spent all morning hitting styrofoam with hammers, sawing chunks off with a wire PVC saw, and carving it with chisels (flat ones, not pointy ones.) I seriously have no skin left on my fingers from the pvc saw. But it looks great! And I had the honor of making the finishing touch, the nose. It looks so funny. Granted, this was the easy part, rounding of a triangle piece of styrofoam, Stephen had the hard job of shaping the face. But mine is the most memorable. Wade and I worked on it right at the end. We had a fun time, playing in the little pieces of styrofoam that looked like snow and crawling in the crevice between the feet. The funniest part is what happened before I got there, but I'll save that for Lindsey's blog - pictures and all. It was really a fun day and now we get to end it with a fun night of eating at The Keg and watching The Longest Yard.

4 comments:

Joanie said...

Emmmmmm,

Has anyone told Jennifer and Aaron not to keep working on the sphynx for RHCC? Last I heard, Aaron was putting aside other urgent projects, killing himself to get it done in time for Patty's VBS.

Just wondering...don't suppose it is your job to do that anyhow...

JM

Emily said...

Yikes! I didn't know that! I'll talk to Jen tomorrow.

Trey Laminack said...

we NEVER have any pointy chisels!

Emily said...

Yea! I knew the script writer would pick up on the pointy chisel comment!