Sunday, June 12, 2005

Bridesmaids and Wedding Bouquets

This weekend, I was a bridesmaid at the wedding of my best friend from ACU, Ashley Bruner (now Ashley Lee). I could probably write about 100 different anecdotes about this weekend, including one about the tragedy of having a name changed to Ashley Lee, but for now, I want to talk about the tradition of tossing the bouquet.

Tossing the bouquet has always been a fun part of a wedding reception, all the single girls get in a clump and fight over the flowers in hopes of being "the next to get married." But in the past couple of years, this tradition has become a little bit of a downer. Not because I'm still one of the single girls, that doesn't really bother me, but the fact that I feel like I'm not allowed to catch the bouquet. This is because it has become a part of the tradition that the only person allowed to even TRY to catch the bouquet is the bridesmaid with the most serious relationship. Anyone else diving for the flowers is given the look of death and promptly asked to leave. Not really, but close!

So back to yesterday...I am not in a relationship of any kind, much less a serious one. One of the other bridesmaids, Bethany, has been dating a guy for a few months that she thinks is "the one." So before the toss, Bethany was talking about how she wanted it and Nichole said, "Don't worry, the rest of us will back away from it for you so you can get it." and tried to tell Ashley to throw it to Bethany. I was annoyed because I hate feeling like I can't even try just because I don't have a boyfriend. But when Ashley said, "I'm not throwing it to anyone! Whoever gets it, gets it!" I knew that this was my only chance. So we all get in our little clump, Ashley stands with her back to us, and makes the toss. It is headed right towards Bethany who is standing 2 people over from me, so I, in my freakishly tall glory (our shoes made me 6 ft. tall), reach right over the head of the flower girl and pluck it out of the air right in front of Bethany's face! I broke the mold! I did end up feeling bad though, since I don't have anyone to pressure into proposing, so I said that Bethany and I "tied" and gave it to her. But I know that I caught it and everyone thought it was really funny and an awesome catch! So even though I chickened out on my own version of Custer's last stand against unattached, single girl discrimination by giving Bethany the bouquet, I know in my own heart that I defeated the heinous crime that has happened to the grand tradition of bouquet tossing.

6 comments:

Lindsey said...

Way to go. I normally try to take a trip to the lady's room during that part, because with my friends, I'm the only one besides elementary school girls standing in the crowd.

Ashley N said...

I'm with you Emily...I used to love the bouquet toss but then it stopped being so fun. Partly because the single girl thing isn't as fun as when I was 5 and also because I always feel badly catching the bouquet like you said. Good for you for going for it anyway!

SubBlogger said...

My opinion - Emmitt Smith "Game On" head's up play. If you're going to stand there, flatten all sissy comers with your stilettos.

Trey Laminack said...

I skimmed this but did you mention that for men we all try and avoid catching the garter. I usually try and hold the ring bearer up in front of me as a kind of human shield.

SubBlogger said...

Trey - gotta love ya - Mom (God surely has a plan for you)

Jenn said...

ya'll need to go to a black wedding where they FIGHT, yes, FIGHT over the bouquet. on our wedding video there is a fight, well a mildly hostile tugging match, over my bouquet. it was between ira's aunt and his niece. i thought it was funny and was glad of the participation at the time. having gone to several of his family weddings now i know that it is a regular occurence, occurrence,occurance, whateva...