Monday, March 06, 2006

Unanticipated effects of weird food....

So you're probably expecting something really gross out of this post. Sorry to disappoint any 12 year old boys reading today, but this post is about my check card.

Today I went and checked my mail and had a letter from Wells Fargo with a new check card. My card is just fine and doesn't expire until 11/07, so I was a little confused. Then I actually read the letter: "In fulfilling our commitment to detect and prevent fraud on our customers' payment cards, Wells Fargo regularly reviews cardholders activity to identify unusual purchase and ATM transaction patterns. As part of this review process, your Check Card number was identified as being at risk for unauthorized transactions." Then it goes on to say that my old card is cancelled and I have to activate the new one.

I was curious as to what triggered this flag, so I started looking at my purchases recently: King Tut's egyptian restaurant, Edohana Sushi, Pho Bella Vietnamese, Bombay Grill, ATM withdrawl (for a small amount), and a purchase at Fiesta grocery store (I wanted to buy some Guarana - a brazilian soft drink). Everything else on my account is totally normal...rent, WalMart Neighborhood Market, Jack-In-The-Box, so the weird food is the only thing I can pinpoint! Stepping out of the box can have unintended consequences - a new check card number!

9 comments:

nairb said...

I know your smarter than this but I am compelled to tell people not to respond to email from their 'bank' other than generating a phone call to to your local branch (after looking up the number in the phone book if you don't know it).

There are so many Phishing scams that start out similar to what you are talking about. It is terrible to try to rebuild your finances and credit once someone else gets into your finances.

On the other hand, I am surprised that you didn't have gross story to tell after eating that variety of food.

Lindsey said...

HA, that's hilarious.

Emily said...

Oh yeah, i never click on those phishing emails. Its almost impressive how authentic some of them look though! I got one from "Bank of America" the other day concerning my account...I bank at Wells Fargo!

karen b said...

so they suspect an egyptian-japanese-vietnamese-brazilian street gang stole your card and went on an eating spree? isn't that profiling? ... and profiling is wrong.

Maggie said...

em I can't believe that even the bank knows you are a picky eater :)

Anonymous said...

This is so funny. Who would have guessed that branching out on your eating habits could have consequences like this!

Anonymous said...

You're lucky that you weren't investigated by Homeland Security like this couple (http://www.capitolhillblue.com/blog/2006/03/warning_financial_responsibili.html)after making a large credit card payment deemed as "unusual activity."
Fraud protections schemes sometimes are annoying. I once purchased a computer at one store then returned it and purchased it at another store with a better price. At the second store, my card was declined and I had to call the credit company to get it turned on. It seems back-to-back computer purchases are unusual.

Anonymous said...

whoops that link didn't work.

www.capitolhillblue.com/
blog/2006/03/warning_financial_responsibili.html

Unknown said...

As long as your story confirms my prejudice against eating weird food.

In reality, I'm not against trying new food, if it sounds good, but why eat something that you're pretty sure you won't like? Especially when there are so many tried-and-true foods out there that are so good.