Wednesday, April 05, 2006

3 Thoughts About Procrastination

1. I've heard of boredom eating. I've heard of emotional eating. Tonight I discovered a new one: procrastination eating. I have work to do, but I've got to eat dinner. So I make dinner and obviously can't work while I'm eating, so I start a TV show. I manage to drag it out until the end of America's Next Top Model and the American Idol results show. Time to work. Oh wait, I need something sweet - how about some fruit? So I eat a banana and watch Unanimous (disturbing by the way.) Okay, ready to work. Nooooo, I need a drink. To the fridge for a diet coke...and I see a pudding cup. That sounds good - I'll jst eat it really quickly and get to work. So I start watching Lost and eating my pudding. Well of course, I can't work until I finish Lost now. I have procrastinated for 2 1/2 hours solely through eating. And I wonder why I've gained weight since high school....

2. This week started out for me with procrastination at its finest. Tyson assigned a book for us to read (The Goal in case you were wondering) at the very beginning of the semester. The paper for it was due on Tuesday. He even puts on his syllabus over Spring Break "Don't forget to be reading The Goal!" So when do I start reading? Monday afternoon. I started reading around 3pm. 11pm: I finish the book (337 pages). I took an hour for dinner, 30 minutes talking on IM to my friend John, and 30 minutes on the phone at some point, so overall it took me about 6 hours to read. And then I still had to write the paper. This is when I stopped focusing quite as much - a few emails to friends back and forth in this time, but 4 am: I finally get into bed. My procrastination reached a new....would you call it a high or a low? Either way, I'm oddly actually a little proud of it! Kinda like a scar from a dumb fall you had years ago that you brag about even though it was really stupid....

3. Me being who I am, I procrastinated in sending out my donations emails for Race for the Cure (you only thought you were going to get away without me hounding you!) So now I'm still $150 away from my goal and realllllly want to meet it. I figure it kinda looks bad for the community service chair of the MBA program to not do well. SOOOOOO, take minute, donate to The Komen Foundation by clicking on the "My Donation Page" link! Seriously, $10 will barely buy lunch at Boston Market, but it can help save lives! $20 is less that you'll spend on a shirt, why not spend it on a little cancer research? Great cause + tax deductible = warm fuzzy feeling inside! Come on....all the cool kids are doing it!!

No comments: