Monday, June 19, 2006

The Interview

When I first got nominated, I was told that interviews would be conducted in April. May comes, and we haven't heard anything. So the MBA program administrator makes some phone calls to find out what was going on. MANY emails later, we move the date around about 5 times and set it up for June 8th. The email confirming the appointment gave me the name of the man who I would interview and the address of his "office."

So I take the morning off work, get all dressed up in my suit (with the hems still held up by safety pins!) and start following the mapquest directions to Dallas. I get in the area, and cannot find the street Manchester that is supposedly off of Northwest Hwy. I drove up and down the street for about 30 minutes, had my cousin Allyson on the phone trying to figure out where it was, and I was going nuts. This was a huge interview and I was late - a MAJOR faux pas. I finally realize that it is not called Manchester when it intersects NW Hwy and find where I am supposed to go. I get there really upset, and realize this isn't an office....its the guy's home address!

Another girl that was interviewing was already there and said no one was home. So we called his office and found out that they had given the wrong address! His office was in Lincoln Center right off the tollway. He had been waiting thinking that we had forgotten or didn't care or something! So we drive to his office (I'm feeling very lucky because I have been given a 2nd chance after being 30 min late for my 30 min interview!) and I go in to interview.

I am flustered after the events of the morning, i know i'm going to get back to work an hour later than planned, and although the interview went well, I knew that the other girl in the lobby would be a really good interviewee and I'm sure that the other candidates are great as well. I had to set myself apart. So I decide to be bold. I still can't believe that I said this, but it just came out of my mouth. Right as I was leaving, I shook his hand and said "I just want to leave you by saying that I know that I am the best candidate for this scholarship. With my commitment to Texas business and drive to succeed, I plan on making a contribution big enough to be inducted in the Texas Business Hall of Fame someday, so why not give me the scholarship now as well?" He thought it was great! He started smiling really big and was like "That is just great. That is good to know." Did it work? Well....verdict's still out I guess!

No comments: