Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Toto, I don't think we're in Texas anymore...

I left Stockholm Monday evening to come out to Tammsvik, the conference center about 30 minutes outside of the city. Things have been very...interesting since I got here.

Maggie's Dream Job
I went to dinner on Monday night and found two people who have Maggie's dream job. By day, they run this place, which is very similar to a bed and breakfast. At night, they do a two person variety show - one man and one woman. In between courses of the meal, they did a medley of songs from different decades: 60's before the first course, an Abba medley before the main course, 80's before dessert, and I ended up leaving before the last act. They had a stage and microphones and lights and everything and sang and danced to songs (90% were Swedish, so I didn't know any of it!) All I could think of the whole time was "Maggie would LOVE this!"

Norwegians, Icelandics, and Danes
After I left dinner, I met up with three Britons who where here with Sabre as well. Two have been to this conference every year and warned me "Stay away from the Norwegian, stay away from the Danes, and REALLY stay away from the Icelandics!" Apparently their drinking makes the Irish look like the picture of sobriety. They also gave me a tip - get a Coke, tell the Scandinavians it was Rum and Coke, and don't really drink it, because if you have an empty glass, it WILL be refilled for you. I took their advice and was extremely glad I did. Those people were partying all night long and when we got up the next morning, they started off the day with another beer! It is crazy!

Caution: Men in Underwear
Bet that headline got your attention! Yesterday was a networking day with different contests for the clients. One was to build a raft that they would row around a course in the lake out of barrells, wood, and rope. They had about an hour to do it, and about halfway through, all of the European men started taking off their clothes, and most ended up in just their underwear! And we're not talking Boxers here, or even Boxer-Briefs. We'll just leave it at that. Can you imagine going to a conference with your coworkers and a bunch of people you don't know and stripping down to basically nothing? I am definitely not in Texas anymore!!

Well, its lunch time, so I'm going to go get something to eat. Tonight there is a boat outing after the conference, so I'm sure I'll have some interesting stories there. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

SubBlogger said...

This is getting good!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your pictures may be very interesting!