Thursday, April 28, 2005

Letting Go

Why is it that we as humans have such a hard time letting go? Why is it that we hold on to things with such force that we can't even see how they are hurting us? Today I have been talking to two of my good friends who are having immense problems with this concept. One is dealing with a friendship that needs to be changed or dissolved altogether while the other is newly married and and her husband can't let go of his parents - almost to the point where it is hurting their marriage. I have countless other friends dealing with this as we approach graduation. And the reason we all have trouble letting go is fear.

Fear controls so much of our lives. It causes us to pass us opportunities. It causes us to hold back from things we really want. It causes us remain in situations that are hurtful because we can't imagine our lives with out them. And it causes us to lose sight of what is really important. I am a pretty fearful person. After the Wedgwood Baptist Church shooting, fear became integrated into my very being. I am constantly surveying the people around me, especially in large crowds, convinced that something bad is about to happen. I worry about things I shouldn't worry about (Katie knows what I'm talking about!). But the one thing that helps me keep my fear at bay, and really probably keeps me from entering into some form of social anxiety disorder for that matter, is knowing that God is here for me and is in control. I had to do an interview with my parents for my Family Relations class, and when asked to give some advice to young couples, my mom said, "Put God in the center always. Don't try to handle everything yourself before you let Him handle it." And what struck me the most was what she said after a short pause - "The sooner you figure that out, the better off you'll be." I don't know about you, but I'm ready to figure that out. I have been there once, where nothing could phase me because I was completely reliant on God. I'm not quite there right now, but I'm on my way back. And I can't wait to get there, because I know from experience, letting go feels so good.

Proverbs 3:5-6 - "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your path straight."

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Great postage Em.